- To transform our throw-away economy, one beloved item at a time
- To reduce how much stuff goes into the waste stream
- To preserve traditional repair know-how & skills, and pass them on
- To show the people who have this knowledge that they are valued
- To feed our curiosity about "the way things work", provide scientific diversion & have fun!
- To foster community, sustainability, and resilience
The Repair Café idea was born in Amsterdam in 2009 and was brought to New Paltz by volunteer organizer John Wackman in 2013. His dedication, enthusiasm, and success inspired others to launch Repair Cafe events in their communities. If you are interested in bringing Repair Cafe to your community, John would be happy to point you in the right direction (email John). You can also check out the Repair Cafe Foundation, where it all began, for resources, guidelines, and all the details.
If you would like to volunteer at a Hudson Valley Repair Cafe, or just want to find out more about the activities at these events, contact the independent organizers of the locations directly: